Saturday, April 9, 2011

5k run

Today I walked/ran a 5k. It was to support a great cause, The Prayer Child Foundation. My sister Kelli was in charge of the run. I initially signed up to support my sister and the foundation, but then got really excited about it. As I reflect back over the last 10 years of my life, this was a very big accomplishment for me. About 10 years ago I had some major health problems that have changed my health for good. I had a series of episodes that happen, for 10 1/2 weeks I could not walk on my right leg, had limited use of my right arm and had bells palsy in my face. I made it through the first episode and tried my best to stay positive. I was back on the road to recovery and then it happened again and this one lasted for 6 1/2 weeks. It was getting close to the holidays and it was really hard for me to get around. I was thinking at this point that this might be my way of life. I stayed strong and through physical therapy and many days of fasting and lots of prayers in my behalf, I started to get better. The doctors did many, many, many tests on me and came up with several different diagnosis. My neurologist told me I would not be able to have anymore kids. Much to our surprise, I once again proved the doctors wrong and have had two more amazing children. I live with pain throughout the whole side of my body on a daily basis, and get extreme migraines on a weekly basis. Today made me so thankful for the health that I do have. 10 years ago, I would not have even thought of doing a 5k. I completed it and didn't even come in last. Lol. I have such great friends and family that support me, even if they think I am crazy for doing these things. I am so grateful for such love and support around me.

Here I am crossing the finish line. It rained pretty good the whole run and made it really muddy, but it was fun. YAHOO!!!!! I did it.

No comments:

Counter